Throughout October, there are a host of events tied to greener solutions and sustainability of our nation’s college campuses.
Events are aimed at engaging and inspiring “incoming students and other campus stakeholders to become sustainability change agents,” says The Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education.
We’re talking tree plantings, sustainability pledge drives, nature walks, zero-energy concerts, green sporting events, letter-writing campaigns, and sustainability competitions.
If you follow the #CampusSustainabilityMonth conversation on social, you’ll see many campuses proudly promoting their work. They include:
- Arizona Sun Devils going greener for campus sustainability month
- A green infrastructure research lab growing at Villanova
- University of Dayton’s revisit of more than 4,000 solar arrays installed last year
- Penn State cutting greenhouse emissions in half
- Florida State University has an entire month of events around sustainability planned
There’s plenty of time to participate. Here are some ideas:
- Project Green Challenge (through Oct. 30). Led by Turning Green, PGC engages high school through grad school students for 30 days of environmentally-themed challenges. Since its launch in 2011, PGC has involved more than 40,000 students on 3,500 campuses. Each challenge arrives by email at 6am Pacific; challenges are live for 24 hours.
- The People’s Ecochallenge (through Oct. 23). Participants select or create actions that align with individual values and make a 21-day environmental commitment to complete actions. For every completed action, participants earn points and create impact. More than 100 actions within 9 categories encourage participants to act.
- Global Climate Change Week (Oct. 14-20). GCCW aims to encourage academic communities in all disciplines to engage with each other and policy makers on climate change and its solutions. Activities are aimed at raising awareness and inspiring change.
Share your successes on social media, using the hashtag #CampusSustainabilityMonth.